A HOUSE AND ITS STORY, Admiralty House - Simons Town, 1724-2022

: Myers (S.)

R 545.00
Quantity
- +

141pp., illus., paperback, No Place, 2023

 

A history of Admiralty House, situated at the entrance to Simons Town.

The original building, dating back to the late 1720s, was later enlarged and used as a lodging house. It was bought by the Royal Navy in 1814 and became the home of the Commander in Chief of the South Atlantic Station. In 1957 it was taken over by the South African Navy under the Simons Town agreement and renamed Admiralty House. It remained the home of the Chief of the Navy until Naval Headquarters moved to Pretoria in 1977. The building recently underwent extensive restoration.