208pp, b/w & colour illus., maps, hardback, (Cape Town), 2020
The Genadendal Mission Station was established in April 1738 by Georg Schmidt, a Moravian Church missionary at what was then called Baviaanskloof. The Dutch Reformed Church opposed Schmidt’s missionary work and he left the country in 1744. Almost 50 years later, in 1792, the Moravian mission was re-established.
Dr Isaac Balie was Director of the Genadendal Mission Museum from 1987 until his retirement in 2014. Born and raised in Genadendal, he is a former principal of the local high school.